My Blog List
-
-
the symbolic and the literal....15 years ago
-
-
-
-
Stuff I like
Ven. Kunga Dondrup. Powered by Blogger.
Friday, 10 September 2010

When two Muslim students from an Australian educational establishment urinated and spat on a Bible before burning it, we didn't see scores of outraged Christians take to the market places screaming, "Death to Australians!"
Likewise, when the Taliban destroyed several ancient statues of the Buddha, which were of immense archeological value, we didn't see the Buddhist world - from Sri Lanka to Tibet - take up arms and burn the Afghan flag, nor its politicians warn the world of dire political ramifications were the destruction to continue.
Neither do we see Catholics demanding the blood of the Pakistanis in retaliation for the ongoing and systematic oppression, intimidation and often murder of its Christian minority (including the desecration of churches and religious texts).
However, when one crackpot Christian pastor of a tiny and insignificant little shack in Florida decides to burn 200 Muslim books, all hell breaks loose.
Double standards? I think so.
Whilst I respect the right of anyone to believe whatever they want (flat Earth, prophets, doomsday, conspiracies, etc.) I really find myself getting increasingly irritated by the constant stream of death threats, and effigy/flag burning that accompanies any negative opinion or interpretation of Islam.
Globally - and whilst I concede this is a generalisation it contains some truth - Muslims behave like a spoilt child that kicks and screams whenever it doesn't get its own way, and Western politicians and the media too often indulge its petulance. Of course, there are vast numbers of educated and restrained Muslims who, whilst obviously taking offence at insults displayed towards their beliefs, don't reach for the nearest AK47 and take the law into their own hands but behave in a rational, balanced way just like millions of other religiously-minded people who are also offended and belittled in scores of ways on a daily basis by the arts, media, politicians or whosoever wants to take a pop at their beliefs.
If Pastor Terry Jones wants to burn a million copies of the Qur'an, and has paid for them, then that is his right, as much as I may disagree with it. In the same way, if I want to raid my bookshelves and immolate my collection of Penguin Classics, Sunday Missal or Dhammpada then I should be able to do so without fear of murder by affronted Hellaphile, Catholic or Buddhist neighbours.
So, whilst I disagree with Pastor Jones deliberate provocation of Muslims (whose 'holy' book actually says some pretty nasty things about Christianity), I have to respect his right to choose to burn his own possessions. I think it's disrespectful, I think it's potentially dangerous, but these are just books. Simple?
If there is a God, He/She/It/Them can look after His/Her/Its/Their self/selves. There is no need for murderous swarms of swarthy, gun-toting, flag-burning thugs to do any dirty work on the behalf of a deity, real or imaginary.
Some Muslims need to get a sense of perspective and, were the Media and Western politicians to do what one should do with any spoilt child (ie. ignore them), it would be of greater benefit to them than pandering to this ridiculous behaviour.
Voltaire's maxim is the way forward: "I may disagree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it." It is the very principle of a civilised society.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment